Friday, October 3, 2014

A thought for today

Acts 2:42 NLT
All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord's Supper), and to prayer.

Devoted themselves.
What does it mean to "devote yourself"?

When I think of these words I think of the following: time, intentional, deliberate actions, proactive, passionate and willing.

What does it mean to devote yourself?

For me it means to take the initiative, to be proactive in my approach to my spiritual life, not waiting for others to do something for me, but taking responsibility for my relationship with my Heavenly Father. He has done everything for me when I did not and never will deserve it. I am saved by grace and through the mercy of God. For this reason, I take hold of Jesus Christ and actively pursue my relationship with him.

What does it mean to devote yourself?

Here's some more thoughts. It means ensuring study of the word of God, choosing discipleship, choosing to learn from and follow Jesus, applying the word of God diligently to your life.

It means being in meetings together and giving time to people, spending time with one another, deliberately meeting, intentionally getting together, to celebrate together. It means being sincere in wanting to be with fellow believers regardless of where they are up to on life's journey.

It is community. It is sharing together over food and sharing in Communion. It is celebrating Jesus and his love, his grace and his mercy, shown to us by his death and Resurrection.

And finally, for me, it means spending time with God. Being committed to prayer; choosing to be disciplined in our prayer life and to take time each day to pray, to journal and to listen. It is sharing your heart with God and then listening to his heart for the world, for people, for us. 

What will you do to"devote yourself" this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment