Friday, April 22, 2016

Body Soul Spirit - the Body

God knows us and created us

Exalting Christ in all aspects of life

Philippians 1:20-22 NIV
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. [21] For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. [22] If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!

1 Thessalonians 4:3-4 NIV
It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; [4] that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable,

Psalm 139:13-18 NIV
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. [14] I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. [15] My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. [16] Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. [17] How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! [18] Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand---when I awake, I am still with you.

Relationship with God brings life

Proverbs 3:7-8 NIV
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. [8] This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.

How we manage our soul and spirit affects our physical health too. They are all connected.

Proverbs 14:30 NIV
A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones.

Here we see how managing feelings can bring life or death to our bodies just as the words we speak bring life or death.

How we see life affects the body

Matthew 6:22 NIV
“The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light.

Jesus was very keen on healing the physical body. There are many scriptures where he heals in some way.

Romans 8:9-11 NIV
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ. [10] But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness. [11] And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 NIV
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. [25] Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. [26] Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. [27] No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Like most things in life it takes discipline to keep the body under control and is all connected to soul and spirit.

1 Corinthians 15:42 NIV
So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable;

Proverbs 22:15 NLT
A youngster's heart is filled with foolishness, but physical discipline will drive it far away.
1 Timothy 4:8 NLT
"Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come."

Food

1 Timothy 4:3-5 NLT
They will say it is wrong to be married and wrong to eat certain foods. But God created those foods to be eaten with thanks by faithful people who know the truth. [4] Since everything God created is good, we should not reject any of it but receive it with thanks. [5] For we know it is made acceptable by the word of God and prayer.

This is not an excuse to continuously eat unhealthy food. The food mentioned here was not highly processed etc. It would have been fresh and unprocessed. However, when you are eating with others, especially when you receive food from others as a gift or in good will, receive it and eat it with thanks.

There are many places where we can find information on healthy eating. In general, food grown locally without pesticides and eaten fresh and unprocessed is ideal. This is not always possible but I encourage us to consider ways we can make small shifts in our thinking and behaviors towards healthy eating.

Here's some ideas:
Find a local farmer's market or community garden

Grow your own herbs and vegetables

Shop at the local fruit market and source local ingredients

Get together with other people and swap, buy collaboratively, and share.

Make time to cook fresh food and find easy things to do to start

Eating out - look for the healthier menu choices and try to avoid fast food.

Eat regular meals - you'll tend to crave carbs late in the day if you don't eat regularly.

Start small - you are more likely to maintain habits when you achievable goals

Enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment