Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Challenged

Hi. I'm sharing a quote from the book I'm reading. This is a seriously challenging read because it addresses the massive consumerist nature of our western culture and how easily we are sucked in to it. As I try to live as a follower of Jesus this book has highlighted those areas in my life that are not in aright rhythm and it challenges me to the core. Liz did tell me it would challenge whoever read it and she was totally right.

Here is the quote from
"7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess" by Jen Hatmaker

- "My communion with God suffers not for lack of desire but time. And let’s be honest: I say I don’t have time, yet I found thirty -five minutes for Facebook and an hour for my shows. I found half an hour for YouTube videos on how to fix little black girls’ hair (my Ethiopian children are on deck, and I can’t have them looking nappy ). I found fifteen minutes for the radio and twenty-four minutes for a missed 30 Rock episode. So when I say I don’t have time, I’m a gigantic liar." Start reading this book for free: http://amzn.to/1UUiG1H

We have time for what we value. I say I value my time with God but so often it's overtaken by tv, Facebook and social media and solitaire games on my phone. I could justify it because almost every day I spend time with God. I really do. But if I'm honest, the quality of my time is seriously affected by the distractions around me. Any one else with me on this?

If I'm serious about simplifying to make room for relationships, I'm going to have to address the social media issue and the games issue and make solid changes to restore a proper rhythm to my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment